Boxeed In

A forum for Boxee Users  
It is currently November 24th, 2014, 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Boxee+Hacks 1.5.5
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2013, 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

BOXEE+HACKS, a set of extensions for the default Boxee UI to enable a host of new features:

What does it look like?

New features
- Adds the Music section back to the Home screen
- Enable/disable icons on the Home screen
- Replace built-in features such as Movies with apps like Netflix or Vudu
- Adds fan art for TV Shows and Movies
- Adds movie Studio labels on the Movie details page
- Customise the icons listed on the Home screen
- Overlays for 3D movies and Concerts
- New (optional) subtitle search system
- Change the featured content on the Home screen
- More view modes (fan art based carrousel and tiny poster mode)
- New music visualisations
- Access Weather app directly from the home screen
- Growl Notification Plugin for Mac
- Option to automatically select the last unwatched episode of a TV Show
- Super fancy credits screen

Improvements
- Faster HD streaming
- Better VPN performance (MTU tweak)
- Faster UI
- FTP access to your mounted drives
- Block forced updates (hopefully)
- Access to a bunch of advanced settings
- New APIs

Installation is reasonably simple. Just download the package, copy the install files to a USB drive named "BOXEE", enable file sharing, and enter a special install string into your Boxee Box's hostname. After you've installed you can use the update system in the new settings menu.

The full set of instructions and the download can be found at:

http://boxeed.in/

If you run into any issues, first read the FAQ:

https://github.com/cigamit/boxeehack/wiki/FAQ

The software is completely Open-Source and you are free to make your own modifications. You can fork the project on GitHub.

Important
If you find bugs, or have feature requests, please add them as issues on GitHub. That helps keep track of requests a lot better than we can do through the forum.

Also we can only change certain parts of the Boxee application, since we don't have access to certain core parts of the software. This means that not everything is possible.

Finally, to figure out how to use certain features, check out the Wiki. There isn't much there yet, but this will change over the course of the next few days.

Any questions? Make sure to check the FAQ first!

Thanks
@GTVHackers for finding the original hack to allow this mod
@Ronald for providing the initial version of the new 9x3 view mode
@Jerbob92 for a lot of work on the subtitle system and various other cool improvements
@Mike3y @D4yz @Cigamit @Winedog for various other tweaks and improvements
And thanks to everyone else who helped getting this project this far

Currently in Development:

Updates:
- Version 1.5.5 - Fix for telnet / xbmc not booting
- Version 1.5.4 - Fix issues with XBMC booting, Change Update URL, Change Reboot to actually reboot instead of reloading Boxee, Allow hiding of Weather / Clock on the home screen, add LIRC support to XBMC boot, add seperate bash script for XBMC NAS mounting
- Version 1.5.3 - Fixes common issues with XBMC booting, XMBC will boot if it in the root of your USB drive, or in a folder named xbmc, XBMC now boots in portable mode
- Version 1.5.2 - Several fixes to the XBMC Boot scripts, including support for Reboot/Shutdown in XBMC
- Version 1.5.1 - Added scripts to allow booting into XBMC
- Version 1.5.0 - Update Busybox to latest; Fix clearing of fanart cache; Allow caching thumbnails to USB/SDCard, Add script to cleanup data drive if necessary
- Version 1.4.9 - Fixes to Jump to Last Watched, Fanart is cached per account, new Upgrade script, Added You Tube subscriptions to home page
- Version 1.4.8 - Random Movie/TV Button, Option for Photo Button, Fix RSS Feed Issues
- Version 1.4.7 - Correct everything to install / update from the boxeed.in servers
- Version 1.4.6 - Add checks to installer to ensure proper installation
- Version 1.4.1 - A small fix for some icons not showing up in certain cases
- Version 1.4.0 - The big one! Adds more home screen customisations. More fan art stuff. A brand new carrousel view mode. Direct access to the weather app on the home screen. Auto jump to last unwatched episode of a Show. Growl Notification plugin. New plugin system and APIs for developers.
- Version 1.3.4 - VPN fixes (finally working)
- Version 1.3.1 - Missing VPN settings added back in + fixes small issue with layout of menu with LiveTV
- Version 1.3.0 - Undertexter.se support, Movie Studio labels, enable/disable any home screen icon, new visualisers, access mounted drives through ftp, set the browser homepage in settings, revamped B+ settings, flat folder fanart support for TV Shows, cleaner movie filename display, credits, MTU tweak now works, browser crashes fix, and many more tweaks, bugfixes and enhancements
- Version 1.2.2 - honest to goodness updater!, more options for replacing the "recent" list on the home screen + more subtitle improvements
- Version 1.2.1 - fixes the "recent" list on the home screen, and some issues with the subtitles.

Post subject: Re: Boxee+Hacks 1.4.5
PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 9:24 am 

Boxee+Hacks is actually at version 1.4.6. This version fixes a few bugs in v1.4.5, strangely though the list of fixes was placed under the blog entry for 1.4.5 => http://boxeeplus.com/blog/update-version-1-4-5/

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Ah, I didnt even notice that. Granted I am still using 1.4.5 since he didn't merge in my "Pick a Random show" button I added.

I am trying to decide whether to fork his on github or create an SVN for it. I have never really liked Github since it handles differences in line endings badly, and pull requests were implemented poorly. You should be able to push just a specific patch, not everything in the current branch you are working on.

I have multiple ideas that I want to implement, starting with a more reliable installer. Downloading directly from Github means you can't reliably determine a few things. The MD5 of the downloaded package needs to be verified, the extracting of the archive needs to be verified, and we need to verify that a few of the settings are properly set before rebooting (since that is why some people have to go back and check a box for it to work).

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 10:31 am 

I'd hold off on splitting the Boxee+Hacks community. At least with the current site people know where to find it, If you split off another branch (so to speak) this will fracture it.

Have you tried contacting the admin for Boxee+Hacks to see if he is willing to make the switch?

If he's given up on the project himself (due to loss of interest or lack of time) he might be willing to hand over the reigns to someone else.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

His last update to Github was over 6 months ago, so I think he has pretty much moved on from the project.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 3:46 pm 

Hello cigamit! Thanks for your goodwill in this forum! You mention that you will start to develope the hack?! Thats great! And the button for a random show is just awesome! Ever since mr sollitide started the hack last year i requested a "autoplay next video" when you are in files, watching a kids movie or in show. This would just be a killer feature! What do you think? Anyway, i am happy that there are still other people that enjoy the box.!! Its still the best out there!

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

That is certainly a possibility, and not too terribly difficult I would think.

If you need that feature now, I believe if you download the boxee server replacement (windows program) that was created, I believe it has this feature built in it already.

I have currently forked the code for boxeehacks and am working on some fixes for it already. I changed the installer around a bit and we now do verification of the downloaded file and some simple verification that the downloaded version and the extracted versions are the same. In case of failure we no longer continue with the rest of the script since we don't want to possible leave the boxee in an unstable state (Boxee processes are no longer killed until we verify that everything is as it should be).

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 2:08 pm 

I'm glad there is a place to go for Boxee now with the other site shutting down this week. Thanks for doing this cigamit. I only had one feature request off the top of my head and never know why it was't possible in the past, maybe you'll be able to tell me. When you have a movie in your DB, when you click for info on Boxee there would be a "Trailer" option and it would stream a trailer if available. Is it possible, or why not, to have that "Trailer" tile point to a local file?

I have all local trailer files and currently they just show up as a second file in the directory, which works well now since Boxee + only shows the relative file path instead of the whole SMB path which was very annoying, but just wondering why it was never possible?

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 7:18 pm 

hey guys! so glad we have a place here before the shutdown of the forums. being that I finally just installed the boxee+ hack last week for the first time on my 3 boxee's I was a bit worried when I read that the forums would be closing less than 2 weeks later.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2013, 5:01 pm 

essential wrote:
I'm glad there is a place to go for Boxee now with the other site shutting down this week. Thanks for doing this cigamit. I only had one feature request off the top of my head and never know why it was't possible in the past, maybe you'll be able to tell me. When you have a movie in your DB, when you click for info on Boxee there would be a "Trailer" option and it would stream a trailer if available. Is it possible, or why not, to have that "Trailer" tile point to a local file?

I have all local trailer files and currently they just show up as a second file in the directory, which works well now since Boxee + only shows the relative file path instead of the whole SMB path which was very annoying, but just wondering why it was never possible?

This is just one of the many good ideas that Boxee never implemented. It should be easy to implement if you put the word "trailer" in the name of the video file, and in the movie-related folder. I think it might be possible to implement within the +Hax project.

I gave up on manually doing any identification on the BBox after a firmware update wiped out all my movie stacks, which I set up manually on a good number of movies.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next