Post subject: Matricom G-Box Midnight MX2
PostPosted: August 5th, 2013, 6:17 pm 

Matricom G-Box Midnight MX2

* Amlogic A9 Dual Core Neon HD CPU
* Mali400 Dual Core High Performance 3D GPU
* 1GB RAM (DDR3)
* 8GB Total Internal Storage
* Advanced OTA Updating
* USB Storage Extendable (Flash Drives/HDD)
* SD Storage Extendable (Up to 32GB!)
* 802.11b/g/n internal Wifi
* HDMI v1.4 video output
* 10/100 Ethernet Port
* Coaxial SPDIF Digital Audio Output (Surround Sound)
* Composite Audio/Video Out
* 4x USB 2.0 Ports
* Android 4.2.x Jelly Bean installed
* Supports Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse
* Google Play Store installed
* Fully Rooted!

Post subject: Re: Matricom G-Box Midnight MX2
PostPosted: August 10th, 2013, 1:11 am 

I picked up one of these a couple of weeks ago for the bedroom.

XBMC
So far I am fairly impressed with the XBMC side of it. Comparing it to an HTPC installation it's going to suffer but for a tiny
box like this it's pretty cool. It can be a bit sluggish but once it gets going (I have a large movie collection to bog it down) it
moves along fairly well. It stutters too much on some blu-ray folder rips over a wired gigabit LAN but the same movies ripped
to MKV plays fine. All my other devices including my Boxee Box, HTPC, and Dune Player will handle these same Blu-ray
folder rips without stuttering. I did feel the video quality was not as good as the Boxee Box, Dune, or my HTPC (ATI vid card).
The picture seemed slightly less detailed and the colors didn't pop as much as the other devices. It wasn't a bad picture just
not quite as good. Someone else might see it differently. Very close anyway.

HD AUDIO
I did try it on my main theater AVR, an Onkyo, and HD Audio would not play. I only got a very harsh static. Dropping down to
any other audio track played okay. I don't have an HD Audio capable receiver in my bedroom so it really doesn't matter in
my case. All-in-all decent enough but I wouldn't want it for my main viewing room, at least not yet. Firmware updates could
help but we all know what an iffy road that can be.

ANDROID
It's my first Android device so I'm still getting used to that aspect of its use. The browser is better than the Boxee Box browser
but I still find it lacking in some areas. I don't browse often on streamers anyway so a moot point for me. There are a ton of
other apps to play with. Netflix fired right up and looked okay although I didn't watch anything very long. I really bought this
for XBMC and probably won't use many of the other features except Netflix and You Tube.

Not a bad little box. Depending on your requirements it could be adequate or it could prove a pain. It was about $100
so not too expensive and has no fan so it's dead silent. It does get quite hot and I keep my bedroom cool.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2013, 12:33 am 

Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking about getting one to replace my (defunct) Boxee.

How does the XBMC experience compare to the Boxee Box port?

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 5:55 pm 

I'll be getting for Christmas, maybe before, so i'll post my results in here. Will be getting the G-Mouse III also so i'll also post about it. I got tired of going round and round trying to find something. Don't get me wrong, I still use the Boxee, but that will be in the main living area, and this will be in my bedroom, or basement.